(215) 952-6910 tel
(215) 952-6914 fax
Josh Mankoff earned his Juris Doctorate, magna cum laude, from Temple University Beasley School of Law, in 2009. While obtaining his law degree, Mr. Mankoff spent a summer clerking for the Honorable Dolores K. Sloviter on the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. He also spent a year in Africa, first clerking on the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda, in Arusha, Tanzania (which tried the masterminds of the 1994 genocide) and later observing the local gacaca proceedings in Rwanda (which tried up to one million low-level perpetrators).
Before law school, Mr. Mankoff graduated cum laude from Williams College in 1998 with a double major in Computer Science and Psychology. He then worked as a software engineer for a start-up company that provided search and guided navigation to over 250 million end-users, including the web site for the United States Census, hundreds of online stores, the Library of Congress, and the Department of Defense.
Despite the exciting opportunities in software, Mr. Mankoff ultimately decided that his true passion was in the practice of law. This prior software experience, however, is indispensable in managing and organizing information generated in mass-tort litigation, where a single mass tort can involve 40 million pages of documents, hundreds of witnesses, and half a million lines of testimony.
Mr. Mankoff joined Lopez McHugh LLP in 2009. He has been involved in litigation regarding IVC filters, SGLT2 inhibitors, defibrillators, Tasers, medical malpractice, Gadolinium and NSF, Lipitor, Mirena, and Yaz/Yasmin/Ocella, among others. His honors and awards include the following:
- Named to the 2020-2022 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers list, which lists no more than 5% of lawyers in the state.
- Named to the 2015-2019 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers’ Rising Stars list, which lists no more than 2.5% of lawyers in the state who are under 40 or have been practicing for fewer than 10 years.
- Named by Best Lawyers for “Best Lawyers in America – Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions – Plaintiffs” since 2018 (based on nomination, voting, analysis, and eligibility check).
- Named co-chair of the American Association of Justice SGLT2 litigation group.
- Membership in the Philadelphia Complex Litigation Center Mass Tort Technology and Information Committee, which seeks to address technology‐related issues and problems unique to mass tort litigation.
- Winner of Pennsylvania Lawyers’ Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg “Pursuit of Justice” Legal Writing Competition.
- Temple Law Review.
- Temple Moot Court finalist.
Mr. Mankoff is admitted to practice law in Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Iowa, Washington, D.C., the United States District Courts for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and the Southern, Eastern, Northern, and Western Districts of New York, the District of New Jersey, and the Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit. He has volunteered at diverse organizations including the American Civil Liberties Union, the Nationalities Service Center, the Forum for African Women Educationalists, and the Wildlife Conservation Society.
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- State of New Jersey
- State of New York
- State of Iowa
- Washington, D.C.
- US Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- Juris Doctorate (magna cum laude), Beasley School of Law
- Bachelor of Arts, Computer Science and Psychology (cum laude), Williams College
- Practice Areas
- Pharmaceutical Litigation
- Mass Torts
- Product Liability
- Personal Injury
- American Bar Association
- Monroe County Bar Association
- American Association for Justice